More Self-Love for Masturbation Month
on May 13, 2013
May is Masturbation Month! Even though we like to celebrate and promote masturbation all twelve months of the year, we'd like to highlight some of the best masturbation and sex toy news in honor of taking a whole month to really focus on celebrating self-love of a sexual kind.
We started out the month highlighting the Sex Positive Photo Project's "I Masturbate…" Which takes a look at images of a diverse group of people embracing the way they masturbate, breaking down shame around self pleasure and showing the beauty of masturbation from the individual's perspective with the photographer as silent observer, telling the stories of the subject, rather than an object, in Shilo Mccabe's photos.
Read on to find out how Masturbation Month is celebrated around the world, learn more about some of our favorite solo sex toys, and you could even win a new sex toy to enhance masturbation all year long.
One lucky reader will win aTENGA Red Flip Hole Male Masturbator.Just comment below and you could be enjoying this sleek male masturbator very soon!
- #MasturbationMay was born out of the radical idea, subtly stated by ex-Surgeon General Jocelyn Elders, that teaching about masturbation might actually be beneficial as a deterrent to young people having sex early on. Her exact words when asked about the topic: “I think it is something that is part of human sexuality and a part of something that perhaps should be taught.” This statement lead to Elders being forced to resign, and inspired Carol Queen and the folks at Good Vibrations to take up the cause. - Have a Merry Masturbation!
- In 1999 the first Masturbate-A-Thon was held in San Francisco, California. Participants at the event masturbate to raise money for charity, increase public awareness, dispel the shame and taboos that exist about masturbation and even attempt to break world records! Masturbate-A-Thon has now spread to other cities like Portland OR, Washington D.C., London, England, and Copenhagen, Denmark. With this year's US event taking place in Philadelphia PA.
- The new site Oh Joy Sex Toy has us all smiling and giddy! Erika Moen has put her awesome cartooning skills to work for all of us sex toy aficionados just in time to celebrate. She starts with the classic power house Hitachi Magic Wand! Check out her comic strip style reviews and look out for a review of the one of a kind Lovehoney Sqweel 2 coming soon to her site.
- Vegas gamblers are getting in on the sex toy action too. Check out this new attraction featuring the Fun Factory Stronic Eins in sex toy races to try a new kind of gambling at a Vegas Casino. I never thought I'd see a sex toy do that!
- More celebraties have embraced talking about masturbation and sharing intimate details about their favorite sex toys too. We learned that Frank Ocean is a Tenga fan after he gave a shout-out with an image posted via instagram. Plus actor James Franco celebrated his birthday in kinky style with a sex toy themed cake and a photo shared on his site.
- If you want to celebrate Masturbation May in style like the celebs mentioned above check out these sexy deals on Male Masturbators, BDSM gear and more masturbation toys. Your purchase is always risk free with free shipping and no questions asked free returns, if it turns out the item isn't exactly what you're expecting. Maybe those anal beads are a bit too big, like the ones on James Franco's cake? Just send 'um back and we'll help you find a better fit.
Our Video of the Week is in loving memory of Chrissy Amphlett, lead singer of the Divinyls, who passed away last month at 53 years of age. The classic tribute to self-loving, "I Touch Myself" lives on and continues to inspire us all.
Congratulations to the winners of our Happiness Bullet Vibe giveaway: Mistress Raeven, John Patterson, and Shadow! Now for another chance to win a quality masturbator. Comment below to enter to win the TENGA Red Flip Hole Male Masturbator. One winner will be chosen at random on May 31st.
Wait! That's not everything…
If you've liked what you read, why not pass it on? Click on the buttons below to share the love and happiness with all your friends. Follow SexualHappiness on Instagram and @Lovehoney_com on twitter for more information and opportunities to win.